Sunday, September 19, 2010

Football helps you study... right?

So I have not posted since last Sunday. Sadly, this is because I have not done much homework since last Sunday.

I'm trying to make up for a lot of lost time today by plowing through a lot of reading. Rather than complete the "key questions" for each lesson right after I finish reading it, I've decided to read it all at once and then tackle the homework in one go. It was all smooth sailing until Lesson 4: Photosynthesis. I always knew it was a gross oversimplification to say that plants just take carbon dioxide and turn it into oxygen, but there are a lot more complex diagrams than I was expecting.

Further complicating matters is the fact that Sunday is Football Day. The NFL is one of the reasons I love September: when fall hits, I can look forward to hours of sitting on the couch with a drink while I watch grown men throw things and hit each other. On Sundays (and sometimes Mondays) from September to January, life is good.

I've watched the first couple of games (after going for a long run to assuage my guilt at sitting around) with my binder and Lesson 4 in my lap. This takes me right back to my first go-round in high school, when this was the Sunday ritual: I would sit in front of the TV with the homework I had left until that evening, and make half-hearted attempts at completing it while keeping one eye on the game. There were frequent interruptions when my dad - my football-watching companion since I was about six - yelled at the TV, or when I saw something out of the corner of my eye that made me yell at the TV. I knew that I wasn't giving nearly the attention to my homework I should have, but it got done in the end, so I didn't really mind.

Now, sitting in front of the TV with homework again, I can't help but feel that even though I'm not devoting my full attention to my work, it may not be all bad. Sure I'm taking a long time to read about electrochemical gradients and ATP, but I'm also not yet bored out of my skull. And I'm still taking things in. (A pigment is a group of molecules that absorbs light at a certain range of frequencies. See?)

So, barring a controlled study, I can only assume that watching football helps me study, Which means it's time to go back to Jets vs Pats and the Calvin cycle.

1 comment: